Michigan Immigration & Criminal Defense Attorney

K1 Fiance Visa Attorney in Michigan

Apply for a K-1 Fiance Visa

Overview of the K1 Fiance Visa


The K-1 fiance visa is a visa that allows a United States citizen to bring their foreign national fiancé into the United States for the purpose of getting married. The K-1 fiance visa is not a green card and does not otherwise entitle your fiancé to stay in the United States. To be sure, a K-1 visa allows your finance to enter the United States one time within six (6) months of its issuance for the purpose of getting married to the U.S citizen petitioner.

Once your finance enters the U.S. you and your finance have a period of ninety (90) days to get married. Should you and your finance decide not to get married, your fiancé must leave the United States prior to the expiration of the 90 day period. If the marriage takes place, you and your spouse must immediately file an application for adjustment of status to adjust your new spouse’s status to that of a legal permanent resident.

The K1 visa from beginning to green card is actually a three step process which begins with filing a I-129F with the USCIS.  After the I-129F is approved it is forwarded to the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad which will process the actual visa application.  This is the second step which is known as consular processing.  Consular processing is perhaps the most critical step in the process and is the point at which the most denials are issued.  If consular processing is successful the foreign national fiance is issued a K1 visa.  The third and final step in the process takes place in the U.S. after the U.S. and foreign national finance are married.  This step is called Adjustment of Status and is the process in which the foreign national fiance's status is adjusted from a K1 non-immigrant to a conditional lawful permanent resident.

Our Fiance Visa ServiceS

We offer three levels of representation for our K1 service to accommodate the various levels of support our clients desire.  Our Standard Service includes USCIS processing of the I-129F and email support.  The next level of service is our Premium Service which includes USCIS processing and consular process as well as some additional services.  The final and highest level of service we offer is our traditional Full Service.  This level of service includes everything from the beginning to receipt of the green card--we handle everything.  For more information on what is included in each service level and the fees for these services please see our Service and Fee Schedule.

Free Case Evaluation

Scroll down to the bottom of page and complete our FREE case evaluation form and find out if you qualify for a K1 visa and whether or not there are any issues of concern with your case.  

Who qualifies for a K-1 fiance visa?

There are four basic requirements to qualify for a K-1 fiance visa:

  • You must be a United States citizen. (*Legal Permanent Residents may not obtain a K-1 visa for their spouse.)
  • You must have met your fiancé in person within the last two years.
  • You and your fiancé must both be legally free to marry.
  • You and your fiancé must have a bona fide intention to marry each other within 90 days of your spouses entry into the United States.

May my fiance’s children come to the United States as well?

The children of the beneficiary of a fiancé visa may be included in the petition for your fiancé. The children of your fiancé may obtain a K-2 visa to enter the United States with your fiancé. Upon your marriage, the children must also adjust their status to that of Lawful Permanent Residents.

What are the procedures for obtaining a K-1 finance visa?

The first step in the fiancé visa process is for the Petitioner (the United States Citizen) to file a petition with the appropriate USCIS service center. The petition must be filed with several other documents that establish that the Petitioner and his or her spouse meet the requirements of the fiancé visa. Improperly prepared petitions—even petitions with minor errors—are routinely rejected by USCIS service centers. An improperly prepared petition can greatly increase the fiancé visa processing time.

Once approval of the K-1 finance visa has been received, the Petitioner and his or her fiancé must submit several additional forms to the United States Embassy that has jurisdiction over the fiance’s country. Upon receipt of the additional documents, the State Department will conduct a routine background check of your fiancé. After the background check is completed the fiancé will be instructed to obtain a medical examination at a designated hospital or clinic and to appear at the U.S. Embassy to present the required documents and undergo an interview with an Embassy Consular Official. Assuming everything is in order, the Consular Official will issue the K-1 visa to your fiancé. At this time your fiancé may travel to the United States.

How long does it take to obtain a K-1 visa?

The processing times for K-1 visas vary depending on the USCIS service center that is processing the petition. USCIS service centers produce a report that shows the estimated processing times for all classes of visa petitions.

Why Choose Us?

We achieve outstanding results for our clients with personal service at reasonable rates.

  • Personal & Comprehensive Service. Philip C. Curtis will handle all aspects of your case personally.
  • Excellent Success Rate. We only accept cases we are certain will succeed.
  • Reasonable Flat Fees. One reasonable flat fee. No hidden costs.

Free Case Evaluation Request

Petitioner's Name *
Petitioner's Name
Petitioner Phone
Petitioner Phone
Petitioner date of birth
Petitioner date of birth
Is the petitioner a US citizen?
Petitioner's Marital Status
Has Petitioner been previously married?
Has Petitioner ever previously been engaged to be married?
For example, do you live alone, with roommates, with your children or your parents.
Has Petitioner ever been convicted of 3 or more alcohol or drug related crimes?
Has Petitioner ever previously filed a K1 application?
Have FN fiancee and Petitioner met in person in last two years?
Include date and name of website if the couple met online.
FN Fiance(e) Name
FN Fiance(e) Name
FN Phone
FN Phone
FN fiancee date of birth
FN fiancee date of birth
FN Fiance(e) Marital Status
Has FN fiance(e) previously been married?
Has FN fiance(e) previously been engaged to be married?
Is FN fiancee currently pregnant?
Does FN finance(e) live in his/her country of citizenship?
Is the FN fiance(e) currently in the U.S.?
For example: F1 student, H1B, visitor
Has FN fiancee ever applied for a U.S. visa?
Please state date of application, type of visa applied for, result of application and consulate where visa was applied for.
Has FN fiancee ever been in the U.S. unlawfully for any period of time?
Has FN fiancee ever been deported or removed from the U.S.?
Has the FN fiancee previously been named as the beneficiary in any U.S. immigration petition?
Has FN ever been arrested for or convicted of any crimes?
Please include date of arrest/conviction, crime involved, place where it occurred and ultimate outcome.
Does FN fiancee use marijuana or other drugs?
Do Petitioner and FN fiancee share a common language?